Time and again surveys and studies have been conducted to review and implement best practices for smooth operations in parcel shipping. It has been observed that 37% of shippers are concerned with their ability to ensure on-time delivery; 71% of shippers look at processes to cut overall costs in parcel shipping, and 85% of shippers are concerned with shipment visibility processes. Here is a collation of few of the best practices in parcel shipping to make it more systematic, and well-networked.
- Correct shipping information Ensuring that the correct shipping information has been entered could be one of the basic practices to ensure that parcels reach the desired location. Incorrect address or shipping information may result in parcel reaching the incorrect delivery centre and more so to the wrong receiver altogether.
2. Automated data capture and scanning An automated data capture and scanning technology should be used in parcel shipping to detect any error before shipment, and also to verify content in the parcel and provide real-time information throughout the shipping process till the parcel reaches its final destination.
3. Location-wise sorting of parcels This method will ensure consolidated full truckload of shipment thereby reducing transportation cost and effective utilization of delivery fleet.
4. Consider different modes of shipping Airways might be the fastest mode of shipping but it is important to look at other modes of shipping too. For example, if the consignment is for regional or local destination then considering railways or roadways may be more cost-effective.
5. Dimensional pricing It is important for parcel shipping companies to know and apply dimensional pricing rather than sticking to regular class-based shipping models. Dimensional pricing may mitigate unforeseen risk in the instance of any change in the pricing model in the future.
6. Ensure appropriate packaging All shipments must be packed appropriately with adequate fillers and packing materials to reduce the risk of damage to items.
7. Do not ship restricted items Verify all packages before sending out the consignment. As a shipper, you must ensure that you are not shipping any restricted items, else it could mean you are risking all other packages and more so you might be risking the entire consignment.
The above-mentioned practices can ease and bring in a more disciplined structure in the entire parcel shipping process.